Healthy Eating- Kale Chips

As mentioned in my Friday post I have been on a semi-health kick.  I've been trying to buy more fresh than processed at the store and I have been trying some new things.  I jumped on the bandwagon with Kale a little late but I have to say I like it so far.
A little about Kale:
 One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.
Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients.
Carotenoids and flavonoids are the specific types of antioxidants associated with many of the anti-cancer health benefits. Kale is also rich in the eye-health promoting lutein and zeaxanthin compounds.
Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw. source
 I have only had it as Kale chips but I think its pretty good so far.  I might try it in a smoothie at some point but Ill stick with chips right now.
This is the cast of characters.  Obviously a head of Kale, a little olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Go ahead and preheat the oven at 350. 

I don't use the main stem so I cut down it and then cut the leaves into different sizes.  Remember, Kale will shrink when its cooked, like spinach, so you will probably want to use more than you think.  I usually use about half of whats pictured at the top.  


After you get some cut, put it in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Make sure to really get all the pieces get olive oil on them but not drenched.  It's a tricky task but you'll get it.  
Once it is coated in olive oil, lay it out on a cookie sheet.  (Please disregard my old baking sheet).  Now it's time to sprinkle on the salt and pepper.  I would go with more salt and just a little pepper.  
Put it in for about 12-15 minutes depending on your oven.  I like mine to already seem pretty crisp when I take them out and then will dry up a little more as they sit out as well.  


Last step is to put them into a bowl and enjoy! Kale chips are a great salty snack fix that you don't have to feel that bad about.


Let me know what you think! Happy Tuesday Y'all!
I am thinking about what to blog about coming up.  Anyone have anything they want to know about?






Comments

Popular Posts